APSS Membership Benefits
Once you join APSS you will receive a membership number that is required to register for any of these membership benefits
12) Foreign Rights
1) LSI/Ingram offer for APSS members
Discount on set-up fees
- 50% discount on standard digital title set-up fee of $75 ($37.50) per title
- 25% discount on scanned title set-up fee of $75 plus $.25/page
APSS members will also receive increased volume discounts on the following quantities (number of copies ordered per title shipping to one address):
|B&W Interior Books||Color Interior Books|
2000+ units 50%
2) $50 Discount on a Baker & Taylor distribution program
Premium Program – $350.00*
Your title(s) will be listed on our database as available for order to our customers.
Title(s) will be purchased initially to fulfill our customer backorders only. Your title(s) will not be stocked until consistent demand is established.
Advertising for paid title(s)* in one of Baker & Taylor’s nationally circulated catalogs. A one-time super annotation featuring your book description and jacket art, provided by the publisher, will appear in one of our catalogs. We will support the placement of your superannotation with a minimum inventory purchase to be determined upon acceptance.
3) Discount on Ingram Spark™
Ingram Content Group’s publish-on-demand platform enables publishers to deliver content worldwide to readers in print and electronic formats. The service, which is tailored to the specific needs of the small independent publisher, streamlines the sales, account setup, content management, and customer support activities through a self-service, online platform. It’s free to set up an account. All you need to get started is an email address, print ready PDFs for print titles, EPUB and JPEG for the e-books, an ISBN, and a credit card.
APSS publisher members qualify for the following discounted:
- $37.50 for Print + Electronic title set-up (when done simultaneously)
- $37.50 for a Print book
- $20 for e-book only
- $12 market access fee
Titles are eligible for automatic free set-up with an initial order of 50-plus copies. When a print order is placed for 50 copies within 60 days of title set-up, the customer will receive a refund.
a) The APSS Shipping Program, managed by PartnerShip®, is a comprehensive inbound and outbound shipping program that combines simplicity, savings, and value to all APSS members. As the APSS-endorsed shipping management provider, PartnerShip works with nationally known carriers to provide unparalleled customer service and significant savings on every shipment. Members who enroll in the APSS Shipping Program receive:
- Savings up to 31%* on select FedEx® small package services
- Savings of at least 70% on LTL freight shipments with UPS Freight, YRC Freight, and others
- Discounted pricing on shipments to and from tradeshows and events
b) APSS Members Save at least 70% on LTL Freight Shipping with UPS Freight ®, YRC, Con-way Freight, and Others
The customized PartnerShip LTL freight management program gives APSS members the advantage of a comprehensive LTL freight option for shipments over 200 lbs., including a full suite of individualized services, such as:
- Savings of at least 70% (discounts may increase based on volume) with the country’s most experienced and most reliable carriers, including UPS Freight, Con-way Freight, YRC Freight, and many regional carriers
5) Discount on products and services from R. R. Bowker
a) Use the discount code described below and receive 15% off
- One, ten, 100 or 1000 ISBNs
- Bar codes
- ViewInside Widget
- QR codes
- Book as an App
- Self-Publisher Packages
6) Ebook conversion
Ebook conversion for regular epub (iBookstore, Nook, Kobo, Sony) and mobi for Amazon Kindle for $.75 per page, including the cover. This does not include upload to Smashwords. Send a pdf of your book to firstname.lastname@example.org for an exact price quote. The conversion typically takes 4 to 7 days.
7) Get unlimited, 24/7 access to medical care and other services — from your phone or computer.
Do you have a high-deductible medical plan? Want to eliminate out-of-pocket charges for your office visits? CADR+ will provide APSS members with 24-hour access to a US based, trained & board-certified doctor to solve your non-emergency medical situations.
In less than 30 minutes, consult with a US-based, licensed doctor who can diagnose non-emergency medical conditions and prescribe medication. In addition…
- Get prescriptions, diagnosis & treatment plans
- Connect anytime by phone, video or app
- Unlimited use with no per-call charges
- For you and your family (up to 6 total)
- No more waiting to see your primary care doctor
- You do not have to take time off work to sit in a waiting room
- Forgot your Rx while traveling? Get a renewal prescription anywhere in the US.
APSS members also get these benefits as part of this package:
Legal & Financial Services. Talk with a network attorney or financial consultant for up to 30 minutes free per issue, for an unlimited number of issues.
Free WellCard Discount Card. Savings on a wide range of healthcare products and services like prescription drugs, lab tests, vision, dental care and prescriptions.
ID Theft & Fraud Resolution. Victims of ID theft or fraud related crimes receive the education, guidance, counseling & legal and financial assistance they need.
Aetna RFL Consultants. Speak directly with highly educated, vetted & trained consultants who are ready to listen and help guide you through life’s challenges.
Bill Review & Mediation. Do you have unresolved hospital bills totaling over $2,500? Let the CADR+ Patient Advocacy team work directly with the hospital on your behalf to lower your payments.
Natural Therapy Professionals. Discounts over 25% on natural therapy services including chiropractic, acupuncture, massage therapy and nutrition services.
Online Worklife Resources. In-depth resources and guides for daily issues from adoption to college planning, elder care, disaster relief, emergency care and more.
8) Discounts from Foreword Reviews
- A free one-year subscription to Foreword Reviews quarterly print magazine ($19.95 value).
9) Discounts on staffed displays at trade shows around the world
Have you ever wanted to display your books before thousands of people at BEA, ALA or Frankfurt, but didn’t want to spend thousands of dollars to do it? We have reached an agreement with The Combined Book Exhibit® (CBE) to display APSS members’ book(s) at major state, regional, national and international shows for one low flat fee per show.
CBE displays your book(s) with those of other authors and publishers at shows with heavy traffic. CBE also creates a catalog for each show it attends, and keeps a comprehensive database on its website with your contact information for an entire year.
See how much money you can save by having CBE exhibit at major shows by visiting http://tinyurl.com/b8tk5t5 Register with your APSS membership number (insert it at APSS ORDER NUMBER).
10) Discounted website development for APSS members
You can have your website anywhere you like (NewMedia can recommend some good ISPs.) And you can choose any theme you like… there are over 100 themes at no basic cost to you. Would you like a shopping cart or a membership site? NewMedia can do it, but for an added cost, as these are more complex.
Send them your copy in any standard file and they will put it on the site for you. NewMedia will give you a home page, a services/products page, an about-us page, and a contact-us email form page. They get your site up and running quickly, often the day following receipt of all your content.
11) Bookstore distribution
a) Midpoint Trade Books has agreed to provide distribution for approved APSS members to bookstores and other non-bookstore retailers across the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada.
b) Small Press United (SPU) has agreed to conduct distribution for approved APSS members to bookstores and other non-bookstore retailers across the United States and Canada.
c) Distribution to Canadian bookstores APSS has reached an agreement with Promontory Press, a company that distributes book to Canadian bookstores. You will be paid 30% to 45% of the retail price of your book. The discount depends on the quantity ordered, and will be agreed upon in advance. Promontory Press will pay you semi-annually, less returns. This arrangement excludes books with the ISBN of a print-on-demand company.
12) Foreign Rights
Columbine Communications and Publications is a foreign rights publishing consultancy. We focus on non-fiction titles in the genres of business, personal development, psychology/self-help, parenting, health, education and others. Our role is to bridge the gap between our client base of North American publishers and authors to foreign publishers and agents with similar interests on a worldwide basis. We accomplish this by offering our clients a variety of “programs” in which they can participate in order to gain wide exposure of their titles for foreign rights licensing possibilities.
13) Join a program to sell your book on a non-returnable, commission basis to buyers in corporations, associations, schools, the military and government agencies.
Your book is displayed in a catalog that is used by 65,000 commissioned salespeople who sell to known buyers. When they take an order for your books, Guy Achtzehn’s Promotional Bookstore will purchase them from you at 60% off the list price – and pay the shipping charges.
Catalogs are sent in April and October of each year. The Promotional Bookstore does the layout for you and you approve it before they go to print. You also get a copy of the printed catalog.
There is a $250 one-time catalog set-up fee for the first title ($175 for the second and $125 for each additional title) to be included in this program. APSS members get a 10% discount. Get more information and register at http://www.premiumbookcompany.com Use Promo Code APSS when registering for the discount.
14) Publicity to hundreds of thousands of viewers, bloggers, readers and followers. Interact with readers through live chats.
Give your book a chance to be discovered where the readers are with BookTrib: The Lifestyle Destination for Book Lovers. We offer opportunities for readers to interact with popular authors online via live chats, providing reviews, book trailers, and ever-popular weekly book giveaways.
The majority of the site’s viewers are college-educated working women between the ages of 25 and 65. Our readers include of members of book clubs, book bloggers, librarians, bookstores and thousands of readers who appreciate books as an object of beauty as well as entertainment. APSS members get 10% off these prices when using your membership number when registering. Contact Meryl Moss at email@example.com with any questions or to register for these benefits
- Give your website an additional advantage by setting it up on BookTrib.com. We will send an announcement in our newsletter to over 12,000 subscribers, with a screenshot and a link added to our Facebook page with 8,399 friends, Google+ with 406,340 followers and 2,111,091 views as well as on our Twitter feed with 13,475 followers. $500 ($450 with your APSS membership number)
- Get interviewed by a BookTrib writer and for an added bonus we will offer your book as a giveaway. Your Q&A will live on our home page and also appear in our weekly newsletter that is emailed to our 12,000+ readers. $450 ($405 with your APSS membership number)
- A live video chat that is pre-arranged and promoted to thousands of our media, blogger and reader contacts. We create several digital assets that are used to promote your live chat. You can use these assets on your own social media entities and our live chats are also promoted in our newsletter and on all of our social media. $1,500 ($1350 with your APSS membership number)
- While slots last we can add your e-book book to our Net Galley account for 8 weeks that includes an e-blast to 15,000 professional readers and reviews will start filling your inbox. $1350 ($1215 with your APSS membership number)
15) Sales Promotional Items
Get your book cover or marketing message on promotional items such as coffee mugs, pens, pads, bookmarks, key chains, shirts, umbrellas or any of hundreds of other promotional products. APSS can help you use promotional items to:
- Lure new customers
- Remind procrastinators to buy
- Encourage repeat purchases
- Create brand awareness
- Boost sales
- Create customer loyalty
- Attract more people to your trade-show exhibit
- Spread word-of-mouth advertising
- Have a fun giveaway for book signings and other events
Contact Guy Achtzehn at The Promotional Bookstore, firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 846-3865. Provide your APSS membership number for a 10% discount on promotional items
16) Professional Publishing With Complete National Distribution to Bookstores and More
Have your manuscript published in any format with marketing support, national bookstore, library, and non-bookstore retail distribution from one source.
KB Publishing will work with you to produce your manuscript in the most readable, professional and usable format. This could be a printed book and/or an ebook (for Kindle, Kobo, Apple/itunes, iPad and Nook). Packages include cover design, page layout, ISBN, barcode, copyediting and an initial supply of books.
Retail Book Distribution
Your book will be distributed through a major national distributor. They will sell and distribute your book to retail, wholesale, internet and specialty customers. This includes all trade bookstores, book departments in department stores, other retail outlets, college bookstores, museum stores, Christian market stores and on-line retailers.
Hybrid Global Publishing provides you with a quality product, innovative solutions and cost-effective services. You will be assigned an Author Relationship Manager who will assist you throughout the publication process, answer your questions, and keep your project moving forward smoothly and on time.
KB Publishing Packages (includes everything above) – APSS members receive a $500 discount off all package prices. Please note that manuscripts will be evaluated and not all will be accepted.
Contact Karen Strauss at email@example.com for details and pricing
17) PubMatch.com – find a manuscript, illustrator, publisher or agent
APSS has created a partnership with PubMatch.com for you to just that!
18) AMP Company will find your potential buyers in bookstores, libraries, businesses, media, associations, movie producers and more. Then create and send an email with your customized message to them
AMP will analyze your content (fiction and non-fiction), find prospective buyers, create a custom book kit and send it to potential buyers on your behalf.
19) Sell your book for you
Do you want to sell your books to non-bookstore buyers, but do not have the time, skills or desire to find the names of people to contact, make the presentations and close the sale? One of the top sales professionals in the promotional products industry can do that for you for selected books. Sales activities take place over several months (mailings/phone/presentations/follow up). You provide samples.
30 hours of time, plus commission of 25% of the profits. Out-of-pocket expenses (postage, etc.) are charged at cost. Additional time may be purchased at $35 per hour. Terms: $750 due with agreement and $750 after 15 hours. There is no guarantee that any sales will result.
20) Personal Services to Sell Your Book for You
A skilled, professional sales person will call prospective buyers and pre-sell your book. They will pre-sell your book and stimulate interest among potential buyers. We will send you the name of the prospects and their contact information, and a brief description of why they are interested in your book. These will be people who want to learn more about your book, and are expecting to see a copy of it. You send the sample to prospect, and you do the follow up. $75 per lead ($750 minimum). If you would like assistance or training in how to do the follow up, see “Role Playing: below.
We will create a list of prospective buyers for your book. We will provide you with the names and contact information (email, website, phone, address) of people you can contact to generate sales of your book for long-term, recurring revenue. $10 per lead with a minimum of 50 leads ($500)
Prepare a telephone presentation for prospecting, arranging appointments. You provide us with a description of your book and we will create the script for you. It will be in a professional, yet friendly voice, but will be able to massage it to meld with your personality. The package will include a brief voice-mail message intended to increase the likelihood of a return call. The price for a script to each buyer type (corporations, associations, schools, etc.) describing the unique benefits of your book to their needs is $150
Guy will act as a buyer for making the initial call or to follow up on a hot lead. You will work together in role playing with different types of “buyers.” This includes a critique of each call with suggestions for improvement. Guy will also describe the nuances B2B phone-call etiquette that will increase the likelihood of a sale. $125 per hour
21) PW Select: Your book in PW’s print and online editions
PW Select promotes self-published books to PW’s audience of booksellers, librarians, publishers, agents, film scouts, and industry insiders.
Normally $149, APSS members receive a special price of $119 which includes:
- listing of your book including four-color-cover artwork, write-up and on-sale information in a special section of PW’s print and online editions
- feature placement on the home page of PublishersWeekly.com and BookLife.com
- feature placement in the BookLife Report e-newsletter
- social media promotion on BookLife’s Facebook and Twitter platforms
- six month subscription to Publishers Weekly’s digital edition
- a free copy of the Publishers Weekly print issue in which your listing appears
22) Bi-weekly book-marketing ezine
Every other week you will receive an ezine with book-marketing tips from John Kremer, Rick Frishman, Eric Kampmann, Judith Briles, Roger C. Parker, Guy Achtzehn and other experts. There is no charge for this ezine. A designer discusses tips on cover design, too. The most recent issue is now up on the site (http://www.bookmarketingworks.com/mktgmattersnews/), as are all past issues if you would like to see them or to sign up to receive my newsletter.
23) Get listed as an expert in your field in the Yearbook of Experts at a discounted rate.
24) Books, products and services
A) A free subscription to Book Business magazine
Find the latest strategies and tips on … digital printing … production and manufacturing … ebooks and digital publishing … management and finance and more! The pages of Book Business bring readers in-depth information by the experts, case studies, Leader Profiles, strategies for growth, features on major issues facing the industry, plus ways to cut costs and reduce time to market.
See the latest APSS blog entry in Book Business: http://tinyurl.com/6flgx8m
B) A subscription to the Writer’s Digest Newsletter
C) Access to a Writer’s Digest “secret page” — The WD Tutorials site:
D) A Writer’s Digest 73-minute webinar on Novel Revision
E) Book Publicity & Book Marketing Tool Kit, from Media Connect
25) A subscription to Publishers Weekly
One-year subscription: Print + Digital + Online format for $174.99 (Normally $249.99)
PW’s ALL ACCESS PASS includes: 51 weekly print issues, companion digital editions – formatted for your desktop, smartphone and iPad; PLUS Subscriber-Only access to PW’s gated online premium content.
One-year subscription: Digital + Online format for $154.99 (Normally $209) Includes: 51 weekly digital editions – formatted for your desktop, smartphone and iPad; PLUS Subscriber-Only access to PW’s gated online premium content.